Friday, August 13, 2004

Priscilla Forgive Me

First off, I want to thank everyone for their prayers and for the suggestions folks have left recently. In truth I think what I wrote yesterday was misinterpreted a little, due to my failings to express myself adequately. Moments ago I received an email from my Mother-in-law, Priscilla. It was very encouraging and I started to respond privately, but instead I'm going to violate her privacy a bit by sharing her thoughts, and also my response.

Priscilla wrote in part:

Maybe it would lighten your load to realize we aren't responsible for some one else's well being or happiness. Amy has to find the Lord to be these very things for herself in this situation, just as it is so obvious that you have found Him to be faithful. We can help someone carry the burden but in the end it is the Lord who will be her burden carrier...

Love, Priscilla


This is absolute truth. I agree 1000 percent.

When I wrote the previous post I was very tired, and didn't elaborate very much but actually I was thinking about some very little things. Tiny things that add to Amy's frustration which I hoped to find a way to resolve for her. Less spiritual and more practical, or so I thought.

Amy's "gastric tube" has leaked constantly since they started feeding her through it. It has been upsetting her to no end to wake up "soaked" and have to change clothes constantly. I've been doing a lot of laundry. Yesterday, before I wrote that blog piece, I mentioned to one of the nurses that I couldn't believe there wasn't a better way.

Amy was also very frustrated yesterday by the fact that she was hooked up to 4 different electronic gizmos that all had to be unplugged if she gets up for any reason...and the outlets are 10 feet apart. I mentioned to that same nurse that she should have a power strip in her room. That's against hospital policy.

That's what was on my mind when I sat down to write yesterday.

That's what was on my mind when I got on my knees and prayed last night. I prayed for those frustrations to end.

At 1 this morning Amy called me and told me her surgeon had called in (he's out of town but checking on Amy every day), someone mentioned the "leaking" issue and he brainstormed a solution. Amy was ecstatic.

When I went to visit her this morning....there was a power strip attached to all her gizmos.

Priscilla you are so right...Amy is going to have to find the Lord to be these very things for herself...


I'm only praying to cast a little of God's light her way to make that journey a little easier.

Fixing a leaking tube...a six outlet power strip.

I don't think most folks would consider that the work of God...but I do.

It's exactly what I prayed for less than 24 hours ago.

I also prayed for wisdom...God answered that one too.

God bless you Priscilla.

Love,

Michael

"Come unto me all you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly of heart: and you shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." - Matthew 11:29-31