Monday, August 23, 2004

Monday Monday

It's Monday isn't it? I could tell with my eyes closed.

Amy called at 2 a.m. to say she noticed she wasn't getting her IV drip of morphine...and when she asked the nurse why had been told, "the doctor changed the orders." She knew that wasn't true, I knew that wasn't true....we've been down this road before and there is a standing written notice in Amy's orders that if there is a change regarding narcotic medication by anyone I am to be called as well as her surgeon...I know it's there, I watched them put it in with my business card and phone number.

The nice thing is that Amy was handling it, being rather insistent that the nurse was wrong. When they doubted her, she got more insistent. Someone finally checked the orders. The nurse was indeed wrong.

Still starting any day with Amy not here is crappy enough, starting it knowing Amy is fighting unnecessary battles, is worse. Later in the day, Amy spoke with the surgeon and the charge nurse. There's now an email out to all nurses that only "seasoned nursing staff" will treat Amy...even on weekends. What if that nurse had misread the orders in a way that would have given Amy too much of some drug?


Father God, I'm sorry...I don't thank You often enough.

When I got to the office, I was told the computers were down and no one noticed they'd been crashed since 5 p.m. Sunday until 5 minutes before I walked in the door. It's sad how used to this situation I've become, but it's still a pain and it takes time away from my schedule which I keep pretty tight.

Got off work, went to see Amy...got on the freeway and steam started pouring through my air conditioning vents. It's been humid, but not that humid. I hoped a radiator hose had broken as I waited for a tow truck.

Amy signed us up for some off brand of Triple A so waiting was the only price I had to pay.

Really Lord, I do need to praise You more often.

Wasn't sure how I was going to get home from the repair shop but Amy managed to reach Gordon, who was coincidentally with Matt Sturges who writes the blog Correction. They were virtually waiting for me at the repair shop when I arrived.

I'm not complaining mind you, Lord, but sometimes You make it seem almost too easy.


The car repair is going to be more expensive than I would have preferred, but in terms of car repairs it's about as good as it gets. Still I feared I was going to have to pull out the Citibank card...at 28 percent...because of my recent juggling of accounts to get the maximum on cards with the lowest rates.

However checking our bank balance I don't think that will be necessary, not if I'm brave...and faithful.

And honestly, I'm thinking being faithful is the lesson I'm clearly supposed to get from today...even if it is Monday.