Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Making A Statement

I'm not big on company mission statements. They seem very Dilbert-like to me. I've found most of the folks who are busy drafting mission statements are people who are not working very hard. The people who are working hard don't have time to come up with mission statements.



Despite that, my office has gone mission statement crazy lately. Upon my return from vacation I noticed the motivational posters that one of my many bosses had ordered plastered onto the walls only a few months ago have now all been replaced with framed "mission statements". They're everywhere in building...literally. In every stairwell, at the top and bottom of every staircase, in every hallway, and almost every sales person has a little copy in his or her cubicle. On the first floor (it's only a two floor building) the entire wall outside the elevator has been re-wallpapered with our new local mission statement...it's about 12 feet tall.

It's hard to miss.

Sorry, I don't know what it says. I've worked for this company for nearly 20 years. I follow my own mission statement: I work hard and I do the job I am paid to do to the very best of my ability.

I was told today that the various managers spent an entire day drafting our new local mission statement. Two members of their staff were forced to attend the meeting to take notes. After 8 hours the two staff members said they had a half page of notes between them....and that included the mission statement.

I asked if I would get paid more money if I memorized our mission statement or had it tattooed somewhere on my body. The answer was no...at least to the first part of the question, I think they're still considering the second idea.

I suppose it's a matter of priorities.

Our little church has a mission statement, although I hesitate to call it that. It's probably more of a motto.

It reads: "Where the less than perfect are more than welcome".

It's not on our church sign. I don't think it's even on our website. It's not plastered on any walls in the sanctuary.

In fact I think there are only two places you'll find it: in our weekly order of worship and etched in the hearts of many members of our congregation.

Funny, I've never had any problem seeing or remembering it.