Wednesday, July 21, 2004

I'll Drink To Fat

Tiffany, my eldest stepdaughter, recently gave me a pedometer.

It is a very thoughtful gift and a cool little gadget. It keeps track of how far I walk each day, and if I set it correctly it will measure how many calories I burn while walking. Not only does it provide me with useful information, but it's also a reflection of the fact that Tiffany has taken notice of my efforts to get in shape and wants to encourage them. So far I've only used it while on my daily forced march although I'm going to wear it to the office soon to officially confirm the fact that once I sit my butt down in my chair at the office, I don't move much.

Although I've not calibrated it to exacting standards I know that my daily walk burns about 380 calories, that's not including what I burn by using hand weights, which I'm told increases that total significantly. It is humbling though when you consider one Krispy Kreme glazed donut is 280 calories.

I thought about that this afternoon as I walked in the intense San Antonio heat, sweating away. Especially in light of this story.

Krispy Kreme is coming out with a line of drinks, including what is essentially a liquefied glazed donut.

Drink up....and out!