Friday, July 02, 2004

The Distant Perspective Of Cold Duck

I have this problem almost every summer when we travel to Ohio...I fall in love with the area. This morning I slept in, until 6 a.m., and got up for my daily walk before the rest of the family started to stir. I marched out the door and decided on a fairly simple route - yesterday I got adventurous and added about 20 minutes to my walk since I realized I didn't know how to get back to my in-laws house.

This morning the weather was perfect, 60 degrees, very little humidity and my thought was immediately, "I could get used to this."

About a mile or two down the road there is a small pond populated by ducks -they may be geese, I'm not the best at distinguishing birds. As I walked toward them I thought what a serene image they present in the middle of this little bit of suburbia.

As I got right up next to them however I saw the slightly less glamorous side of having waterfowl in the neighborhood. I'll spare you the graphic imagery, but suffice it to say the ducks don't waddle far to do their business. There are feathers everywhere stuck to the sidewalk and what they're stuck there with ain't glue.

The ducks are far more charming from a distance.

I suspect that might be true of my thoughts of this place as well. I've only visited Ohio in the summer when it's 100 degrees in San Antonio and 60 degrees here.

If I were here in December the 75-degree days of San Antonio would likely have charms calling to me too.

As they say, the grass is always greener...even more so where the ducks have done their business.