Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Forgive Me. It's For The Common Good

I don't like to blog about politics. Too many bloggers are far better at it than I am, and I'm not all that political. I don't really even enjoy talking about politics. It's not like I'm going to change anyone's mind and in truth if we're going to argue about something I'd prefer it be over something meaningful, like who makes the best pizza.

I suppose it's no secret that I'm fiscally conservative. I've voted Republican in recent national elections. There was a time in my life when I voted the exact opposite. I like to think I'm more liberal when it comes to human rights issues, but I'm probably not liberal enough for a lot of folks.

When I advise people about radio news one of my first suggestions is not to spend a lot of time on politics, I find most people don't care. I know that's probably a violation of some journalistic code, but my real goal is to get people to listen to the radio, and if we talk about things they don't care about they punch the buttons on their radio dials. When enough people punch buttons, I end up unemployed, so I tell people not to talk about politics on the radio too much.

I suppose that's another reason I don't blog about politics...not that I'm going to get fired, but I've figured out plenty of other ways to alienate or bore people.

So, I 'm going to apologize in advance. Today I wanted to write a little about politics. If you push the blog equivalent of the radio button I'll understand. I hope you'll come back.

I saw a quote from Hillary Clinton today; she was speaking to a fundraiser in San Francisco so I suppose I should cut her some slack. I suppose she was probably abiding by the "when in Rome" adage, and certainly if you're going to say something like this, San Francisco is the place to say it.

Anyway, she was referring to her desire to oust the current White House administration but also to do away with the tax cuts passed by our elected representatives. To her credit, she has voted against almost every tax cut proposal that's come up since she's served in the Senate, except for the 2002 proposal to give 14 billion dollars in tax refunds to people who didn't get tax refunds in 2001 because they didn't pay taxes. She voted for that idea...but it failed.

"Many of you are well enough off that ... the tax cuts may have helped you. We're saying that for America to get back on track, we're probably going to cut that short and not give it to you. We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."

I'm all for the common good. I'm all for sacrifice...but before you start telling me that the 300 bucks we got back last year can be better spent by Washington for the common good might I suggest that there are some things we "take away" from Senator Clinton and her colleagues, both Democrat and Republican, in the House and Senate?

The starting pay for a member of Congress is $158,000 a year. That's on day one, when you're still trying to figure out where your office is you're making $158,000 a year...or to put it another way, on day one you pocket 600 bucks for stumbling around confused.

Okay, I'll give you that...it's a demanding job and some members of Congress no doubt are capable of earning something comparable to that in the private sector. Everyone who thinks every member of Congress could land a job in the private sector paying that well raise your hand.... yeah, me too.

The top dogs in the House and Senate pocket $198,000 a year.

They get free life insurance. A show of hands for everyone whose life insurance is free please. Yeah... we need to negotiate better.

The Congressional retirement plan has been greatly exaggerated in some Internet chain letters but it is still safe to say it's generous. It's based on a formula depending on years of service and the average of the highest three years of his or her salary. Their retirement annuity can not start at more than 80 percent of their final salary...it can increase beyond that in later years.
Members of Congress qualify for retirement benefits after FIVE years of service. They can begin collecting them immediately or defer them depending on their age.

How's your retirement plan? Do you start collecting retirement pay after 5 years on the job? I worked for five years to earn 3 weeks vacation.

From what I can tell, the average retirement pay for a long term member of Congress, someone who served about 25 years is around 73 thousand bucks a year. Not bad and I think that's probably fair, for someone who toughed it out in Congress for 25 years.

Of course, the average Social Security retiree, who worked about 40 years gets about 10 thousand bucks a year.

"Many of you are well enough off that ... the tax cuts may have helped you. We're saying that for America to get back on track, we're probably going to cut that short and not give it to you. We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."

Now let's add in a few other things.

Every member of Congress receives, free office space in Washington and in their home district. That seems sensible. Ever been to the office of a member of Congress? Very bleak. Bare bones stuff.

Luckily they can spruce the place up with flowers. Anytime they want they receive free fresh cut flowers from the Botanic Gardens.

House members get a staff allowance of three quarters of a million dollars a year. Members of the Senate have staff allowances that vary according to the population of their state and the distance their state is from Washington - really. The bottom rung...say someone from North Dakota is $400,000. Senators from state's with big populations, like Senator Clinton receive about $2.4 million. They also get more money for "committee aides", which presumably are lowly creatures that do not constitute "staff".

Of course they each have an expense account covering their phones, stationery and basic office costs...for both of their offices.

These hard working members of Congress receive 32 taxpayer paid for trips home per year. They have the same years we do...the ones with 52 weeks in them.

If they do any foreign travel, that's basically free and also includes a travel allowance....as long as they're making official "inquiries".

"Many of you are well enough off that ... the tax cuts may have helped you. We're saying that for America to get back on track, we're probably going to cut that short and not give it to you. We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."

They get to mail virtually anything for free. Licking stamps can really be a waste of time and the staff members splitting that $750,000.00 a year really are far too busy.

Our Washington lawmakers have free access to video and film studios, owned by Congress, to record messages for their constituents for those 20 weeks a year they can't make it home to see them.

Eating and shopping at the Capitol is cheap. There are 'tax free" shops on Capitol hill, and members of Congress get a discount for shopping there. Certainly they should be rewarded for shopping in places where they don't have to pay taxes don't you think? A cup of soup in the Senate dining room costs $1.40. A cup of soup at a popular and reasonably priced restaurant chain in San Antonio, "Jim's" is $1.99. I'll bet the Jim's soup is better.

A haircut on Capitol Hill will cost you 10 bucks. Well, not you...but a member of Congress. You're not allowed in the Congressional barber shop.

"Many of you are well enough off that ... the tax cuts may have helped you. We're saying that for America to get back on track, we're probably going to cut that short and not give it to you. We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."

Congress people don't pay to park at Washington National Airport; in fact they have reserved parking spaces. This is convenient when they're rushing home to see their loved ones, 32 times a year at taxpayer expense.

They do have to pay for their memberships to the House gym and Senate "Bath". What's your gym membership run you? Members of Congress pay 100 dollars...a year. It's probably a pretty shabby place though...I'd wear shower shoes if I was allowed to set foot in there...but I'm not.

Keeping track of all this stuff can be very complicated, even if you have a paid staff earning three quarters of a million dollars annually, not including the pittance you toss at the lowly committee aides. Luckily, if you're a member of Congress your taxes are done for free.

They get every holiday off...and usually several days, weeks or months around each holiday. When it comes time to decide if they should receive a pay raise...they are the ones who decide. In the past 4 years or so Congressional raises have totaled $18,000.

I think they've shown a great deal of restraint...if I got to decide how much my pay raise would be each year I'd probably get all goofy and go way over 18 grand.

"Many of you are well enough off that ... the tax cuts may have helped you. We're saying that for America to get back on track, we're probably going to cut that short and not give it to you. We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."

This is why I don't blog a lot about politics...pizza anyone?