Saturday, January 29, 2005

Insanity And Christianity

Radio tends to attract outgoing people. The folks who really make it big are usually flamboyant extroverts.

I have no idea why I am in radio.

Following the funeral service yesterday, Amy and I went to the family's home for a short time. It turned out there were several folks there who listen to one of the radio stations for which I work. We talked a brief while and I tried to steer the conversation away from me. Don't get me wrong, I love meeting people who listen and enjoy what they hear - they keep me employed - but it's weird to be thought of as a "celebrity."

Amy is always very proud of me and doesn't do much to discourage such flattery; of course she also knows how to keep me humble.

In truth, I'm about as much of a celebrity in San Antonio as the ninth Baldwin brother is a celebrity in Hollywood. There are people I've worked with for 15 years who don't know who I am, so to meet someone who "recognizes my voice" or who can recite entire on air conversations I've had is a little disconcerting. I'm never sure what to say beyond thanking them for listening and answering questions about the mechanics of a particular show.

I think I've used this analogy before, but radio is not too distant from insanity. In truth I sit in a little padded booth and talk to myself...assuming someone is listening.

What's curious is I don't feel that way about God any more. I used to I think. I'd start out talking to God with thoughts like, "God if You're really out there..."

I don't do that anymore.

I talk to God all the time, while walking, driving, when I wake up and right before I go to sleep. Sometimes I talk out loud without giving it any thought at all. Yet I've never met Him. I certainly believe I've felt His touch quite often in my life, but I've never "seen" Him standing before me. He's certainly never answered me in a booming voice, although I believe I've heard Him.

I'm a big fan.

But I'm wondering if God is an introvert.