Tuesday, January 04, 2005

The Google Bomb That Keeps On Giving

Dear Sir.

I am very upset at this posting. I am an avid McGriddle fan and I wanted to steal their recipe. Now, you lead me here, and don't even have a XXX XXXX recipe. I am so mad right now, I can't even express it here. All I want is a XXXXXXX McGriddle and I can't have one thanks to your XXX XXXX post! XXXXXX DIE!
angry mcgriddle fan



In all the time I've been blogging I've received two angry comments...both on the same topic: the recipe for McGriddle sandwiches.

You see it all started as a gag in August of 2003 I noticed that the top "search term" bringing people my blog was "McGriddle recipe." It's because I made a passing mention of how silly I thought the idea of McGriddle sandwich was in another post and somehow Google ranked my blog fairly high on the list. So, I took advantage of it and littered a post with references to McGriddles. It worked. For a while when you went to Google and typed in "McGriddle recipe" I was the number one selection. I'm still ranked 2nd and 3rd.

The sad thing is now that I've mentioned it in this post...I'm probably going to get even more hits from people looking for the recipe.

Hopefully they won't be from such hostile folks as the guy (I'm assuming that's from a guy) who left that comment today without the bad words X'd out.

I do believe this proves one thing - eat breakfast - it's the most important meal of the day.