Monday, December 06, 2004

The Stoma Story

I've got the crud and I'm saying prayers for a stoma.

It's not what I needed right now. My boss, who is on vacation much of this week and needs me healthy, sent me home this morning (once I did 95 percent of my job). I didn't stop at the hospital to see Amy figuring the last thing she needs is someone feverish and coughing in her room. My decision didn't make her happy but she didn't exactly object either.

An infectious disease doc found a fungal infection in her new central line today. That means goodbye central lines for a while and new antibiotics. Tomorrow she'll have another procedure which we're hoping will show a dilation of her "stoma." I'm not a doctor and I'd need more Nyquil to explain this better but essentially it's the tube the food she can eat goes through. If the stoma is dilated, food gets stuck...there is pain...nausea, etc.

She's had this procedure before and it's not shown such a problem, but that was prior to her most recent operation.

If she were to have a dilated stoma it could be fixed during the procedure and it would be a very wonderful thing.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'm making any sense, but I'm praying for a dilated stoma.

It seems like there should be some prayer for that you could chant in Latin doesn't it?

We now return to our regular programming brought to you by: Nyquil - You have to respect a medicine that comes with its own shot glass.

====================

Oh...one other thing. The WOAI Elf Louise Radiothon raised more than $200,000.00 in less than 2 days.

That is a Christmas miracle. We've never done that well before. I should stay away more often.