Friday, December 10, 2004

Homecomings

Amy came home to me this morning.

Our friend Barbara went home to God this afternoon.

Barbara's husband, Charles is a private man. He is old enough to be my father, but in recent months especially we have had a bond...two men trying to cope as the women they loved suffered. Our conversations and emails have often been brief but meaningful. Certainly the underlying gist was clear - we felt pretty damn helpless.

Barbara knew she was dying for many months. She was ready. She long ago stopped asking for prayers of healing. She asked we pray that she could endure the pain, and more recently that she could cling to life long enough to see her newborn grandson, Tate.

This afternoon hospice workers brought Barbara from the hospital to her home and laid her in her own bed. Then they brought in Tate. I wasn't there, but I'm told Barbara cradled this small miracle in her arms and smiled.

Moments later God called Barbara home...to His house.

I can't help but believe that is exactly how she wanted to join the Lord.

A life fulfilled...with both joy and sadness.

This morning I came to the hospital and held Amy tight. I tried to reassure her as best I could that we would take life as it comes. Maybe everything will work out exactly as we have hoped. Maybe it won't. We will be prepared to deal with the sorrows and setbacks should they come but we also must be ready to recognize the joy with which we have been blessed.

Yes, this has been a day of joy and sadness; heartbreak and hope.

I am reminded such things are not inseparable, nor should they be.

How could we appreciate the one without the other?