Saturday, October 22, 2005

Time After Time

Working Saturdays is not something I relish, but I almost never turn down the opportunity because it is literally like stealing money...except it's legal. I get paid overtime and I do less - much much less - work than during a normal workday. It's become impossible for me to resist even though with so little to do the day seems to drag on forever.

The other attraction to working the Saturday shift is that it's with only one radio station and it's actually "live." The truth is - outside of major disaster coverage - working Saturdays is the only time I get to do "live" radio anymore.

I work for so many radio stations now that everything I do is "pre-recorded" which takes a lot virtually all the fun out of it.
There is no interaction with anyone I work with and I'm for the most part a writing/recording machine for 4 or 5 hours straight every morning....interrupt me for 5 minutes and you've discombobulated my "time." It can take hours for me to recover.

I applied for a job as a corporate P.R. flak the other day on a whim simply because radio - the radio I'm doing now - has become so mechanical.
For the record, the corporate folks didn't want me which I expected - I only made a half-hearted application - making that jump for real will take a lot more thought and prayer...a lot more time.

I've already mentioned it in passing to my boss and I have some ideas I'm going to pitch - when I have the time - which I think would make the job more fun and improve the product on my primary radio station too.

Anyway I've been thinking a lot about time lately.

Time is something the importance of which Amy and I have increasingly come to recognize and cherish. We are trying to "make time" for ourselves, as well as "set aside" time for us and the Gomez family. Plus I truly want "one on one" time with John and Ana to show them things and let them show me things. Amy wants the same...which essentially means we're stretched for time.

I wish I had some answers...but I don't have time to search for them right now.

I have only enough time to write this...any more writing and I'll have taken up the time I set aside to wash our stinky little dogs.

That's something that can't be put off any longer...but I suppose it will make the rest of the time we have a little a lot more enjoyable.

Maybe that's all there is to it...make sure you make enough time to keep life from stinking...

Somehow that doesn't seem philosophical enough. Maybe I'll polish that thought...another time.


When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, a man cannot discover anything about his future - Ecclesiastes 7:14