Friday, October 21, 2005

The Boy, The Bus, And The Bird

We're in the middle of one of those "kid" things we thought we were done with...a kid who missed his bus home. I wasn't too upset about it, until I drove to the school...drove around the school...got out and walked around the school...drove around the school...and still couldn't find him. I drove back home.
Right now Amy has gone to go find John' although his mom has told him to walk home...that would be my approach too, except I'm not positive he knows the way. I know the exact distance - 2.9 miles. It's a nice day. I hope the next time he misses the bus will be a nice day too because he will definately walk home then.
Driving people to and from bus stops and school is nearly a full time job in our house and it's made having a normal life virtually impossible for me and Amy. We were hoping we'd get folks on a schedule by now but that's not working. We've got to find a way to make this work because it's interfering with the few hours we have...we being Amy and me. Today we're both worn out from driving to Waco and back to pick up Lisa who reminded us that selflessness is not taught in college, so this wasn't a good day for John' to be a goofball.

I'm working tomorrow to earn extra money so we can survive, that means Amy and I only have a few hours together before I'll need to sleep.

We'll work on this other stuff tomorrow I suppose.

God help us prevent John' from growing up to be a bird brain.

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A man got a prison term longer than prosecutors and defense attorneys had agreed to -- all because of Larry Bird.

The lawyers reached a plea agreement Tuesday for a 30-year term for a man accused of shooting with an intent to kill and robbery. But Eric James Torpy wanted his prison term to match Bird's jersey number 33.

``He said if he was going to go down, he was going to go down in Larry Bird's jersey,'' Oklahoma County District Judge Ray Elliott said Wednesday. ``We accommodated his request and he was just as happy as he could be.

``I've never seen anything like this in 26 years in the courthouse. But, I know the DA is happy about it.''