Sunday, May 29, 2005

God & Country


We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.


It's late...storms are pounding the city. Amy and I are both awake. At midnight Amy is choosing music for tomorrow's worship service, hymns appropriate for this particular weekend, apparently last minute changes are in order.

The thunderclaps and flashes of lightning have me thinking this Memorial day weekend of wars fought - battles won and lives lost. My mind is consumed with the images of men and women who sacrificed so much for me.

I'm also realizing the common thread weaved between my freedom and my faith.

Bloodshed...blood shed for me.

"This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many" - Mark 14:24