Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Sleeping With Amy & Morgan Freeman

I wake up several days a week with Morgan Freeman and a man swimming a river of muck.

I probably watch as little TV now as at any time in my life and I don't miss it too often - not seeing Spurs games has even become something I can contend with, especially lately.

Amy is one of those people who can watch a movie a thousand times, where I will occasionally watch a movie twice and only then because I burned so many brain cells when I was younger my short term memory makes the second viewing seem "new." Amy is also the type of person who likes to sleep with the TV on. I am the type of person who simply likes to sleep whenever possible. In the past, this dichotomy of dozing philosophies has caused some restless moments for me and Amy - resolved lately with earplugs, a sleep mask, and a tall glass of red wine before bed. However when I do awake it is invariably to buzzing alarms (I have two alarm clocks- I'm paranoid that way) as well as Morgan Freeman and a man swimming a river of muck.

The Shawshank Redemption.


There was a time in Amy's life when Seven Brides for Seven Brothers or some other film of that ilk would be named her "favorite." No longer...it's The Shawshank Redemption and if there is nothing on TV - and really in a world where two networks air programs based on Mary Poppins on steroids is there ever really anything on regular TV? - she will throw The Shawshank Redemption into the VCR.

I love this movie too; I'm only curious why my alarm always seems to go off when the film is at the same place.

If you haven't seen the movie, I don't want to ruin it for you. You should watch it though.

Start at the beginning too.

Waking up to a man gasping for air in a sea of sewage is not easy to make into a metaphor for life.

At least it is not easy for me...and I hope it stays that way.