Sunday, October 31, 2004

Hope In Hiding

I'm in hiding...and I feel like a weenie.

I'm hiding from the Halloweenies - the trick or treaters.

They're prowling around outside, going door to door, in a ritual involving disguise and tooth decay.

I have nothing against Halloween, I mean spiritually. If some folks want to think it's evil that's fine, but I don't equate Halloween with devil worship...depending on how you define sugar...but I know some people do see Halloween as something Satanic. That's their choice...who am I to judge?

Personally I see Satan's influence in much different ways. I only wish his deceit were so obvious.

These days I think Halloween is, at worst, a way for kids to learn that you can be a more successful beggar if you're cute.

I took part in Halloween when I was a kid.




That's a UNICEF box in my hand, I don't know if kids still collect for UNICEF or not...I remember it was mandatory at our house. That sounds pretty noble, yet I also remember my most frequent Halloween costume was a "Hobo."

You don't see parents dressing their children up as the "homeless" much these days.

I've given out candy to kids on Halloween before, but not tonight. Tonight I'm hiding because I have three dogs that will go insane every time the doorbell rings, plus I have to wake up really early.

Okay and I don't have any candy.

All the outdoor lights are off, and most of the indoor lights are out as well.

I'm typing by the flicker of the computer monitor. The dogs are sleeping soundly, and I'm fairly certain no neighborhood children are going to go to bed hungry because I didn't give them a fistful of "smarties" (hey, if I buy the candy I get the stuff I like).



I'll turn on the lights at some point during the night when I'm certain the kids have finished their rounds and it's safe to let the dogs out.

In truth I think Amy and I will remain in hiding though...in another way. Amy is still hospitalized, but her recovery is going well. She has a minor infection, but nothing that can't be addressed. I sat down to speak with her surgeon today (on a Sunday no less) and I couldn't help but see something I hadn't seen in a long while...an expression of optimism on his face. It had been masked...for years.

At this point, no one is ready to pronounce Amy "cured," but I must admit there is this growing feeling prowling around the edges of our awareness, that maybe...just maybe, this latest surgery has done the trick. Amy is still in pain, but that's normal for folks filleted only five days ago. Her mood is improving. Her spiritual health is better too.

It may have been because I spent 4 hours behind a lawnmower, but I slept better last night than I have in 18 months.

We're going to stay in hiding a little while longer though.

Yet I must admit I'm feeling a lot more anxious to flip on that light switch and face the glare of our future...
I think it's going to be a real treat.