Saturday, October 30, 2004

The Great Conversation

If there's anything I can do just ask.

"Hahaha...that one always makes Me laugh."

Whoa...where'd You come from?

"What do you mean? I'm always here. I am The Ancient of Days....the Alpha and the Omega."

Well, I mean...uh...I know that...but we don't normally talk.

"We talk all the time loved one...listening, now that's the part you - and many others - seem not to have mastered."

Okay, I'll give You that.

"Thanks, how generous."


No, no disrespect intended...I uh...well I don't want to waste this moment when I'm obviously listening in the right way.

"I know what you meant...remember Alpha Omega...I have a sense of humor you know."

Really?...well um of course You do...look at the platypus...but we're getting off the subject. What do You mean that You laugh when I say "If there's anything I can do just ask?" I say that all the time to people in need.

"What do they need?"

Well, all sorts of things...a ride to the doctor, help with their kids, money, food.

"So why don't you give them food or drive them to the doctor?"

Well, they didn't really ask.

"So you only help people in need who ask, that's sort of hollow don't you think?"

Yeah, well...no...I mean...well, You know what I mean! My intentions are good.

" 'Hell is paved with good intentions, not with bad ones. All men mean well.' I should have given that thought to one of My better writers...like Luke....it got sort of wasted on George Bernard Shaw."

I don't think You're being fair. I do my best and I worship You.

"Really? How do you do your best?"

Well, I go to church on Sundays and I give money a lot of the time. I pray and read the Bible....sometimes.

"Yes, I'm aware of that...I see everything, even inside your heart....but let me get this straight - you go to church on Sundays to worship Me?"

Of course.

"How long does that take?"

Um...well, if I make it to Sunday school it's usually two hours.

"So your idea of worshipping the Creator of you and everything in the universe is to set aside two hours on Sunday?"

Well, some Sundays I'm too busy.

"HAHAHA. Thank you. I know you're saying that because you know I know...but I applaud your attempt at honesty. That about it though? A couple hours on most Sundays, a few prayers and you own a Bible?"


Well, that's not fair. I do more than that. I'm a leader in the church. I try to do things to help the church grow!

"Why?"

Huh? What do you mean, "Why?" so more people will worship You of course!

"So you ask people to come to church and sort of make them feel guilty for not being a church member?"

Well...they make themselves feel guilty...I might help them along a little, but sure...that's the Great Commission!

"Is it?"

Isn't it?

"I suppose I read it a little differently."

What would You do different?

"Well, for one I think I'd stop being so fixated on asking people why they don't come to church."

What? That goes against everything! I have to ask them to church...I have to get them to study the Bible, it's the only way they're going to commit their lives to You!

"Really? I'm not saying you're wrong, but have you ever considered any other way?"

The Great Commission...it's written in the Bible, Matthew 28 something...I shouldn't have to quote it to You!

"No, you shouldn't...and that's good because it doesn't look like you could anyway, but that's beside the point. Why don't you try something else... we'll call it a new commission. "

Will it be great too? Will I get credit for it? OH MAN! Forget I said that!

"I don't forget anything, but I forgive. Actually I'm glad you said that. You're finding it easier to show your true nature. Maybe that will help you understand why you go to church."

I go to church to worship YOU!

"You've said that already...I have the listening thing down believe Me. Remember when you said, 'If there's anything you need just ask?' well this is what I really need.

Ask the people who are already in church why they are there. Call it the Great Commission - The Sequel."


I think you're making fun of me.

"I'd never mock you. I love you. I want you to love Me."


I do!

"Yeah I know, for two hours on most Sundays.
Listen to the words again, 'Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.'

Does that sound like something you're going to accomplish in church?"


Well, I mean I know there's more to it than that, but You're not saying don't go to church are You?

"I'm saying I love you and I want all of mankind to know and love Me. I've given you explicit directions and you've given Me 'two hours most Sundays.'

I think it's going to take more of Your time."


Well, I forgot about Wednesday nigh....uh forget it...I see where You're going I think.

You want me to make You the center of my life...every hour of every day and that way I'll be a living example of what You have commanded and people will learn of You by seeing me.

"That's it...if that's not too much to ask."

Anything I can do just ask...oh uh...um... sorry.

"Hahaha! You're forgiven.

Always."