Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Whence Upon A Time

It was last year at Lent that I re-started walking every day, and although I adopted a very similar regimen the year prior, it was last year where it seemed to "take." I never tired of walking, I suddenly started dropping weight easily where the year before I didn't lose an ounce, and I've kept up the habit.

This year Lent got off on the wrong foot. Amy and I had plans to set aside time together, work through a 40 day devotion of reserving quiet time for God, and read through the book of Psalms. That suddenly became harder to do with her in the hospital and then we felt "behind."

The question then became where would we play catch up? Trying to "cram in" time with Amy or God or Bible reading seemed completely at odds with our intent for this season of peaceful reflection. So we're not going to do that. Yelling out, "Hey Honey! Let's force ourselves to read God's word and spend extra time today to make up for yesterday" seems silly...because it is silly.



I'm not abandoning our goals though.

I think I'm finding the perspective I need...hopefully it's not simply a rationalization.

The first lesson of this Lenten season: We can't "make time" or "find time" or "recapture time"...instead we have to get "in time" with God.

Thank God He's patient.


The Lord upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down.
The eyes of all look to You, and You give them their food at the proper time.
You open Your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing.
Psalm 145:14-16