Sunday, September 16, 2007

Flexing Muscles



Yeah, that freaked me out too.

We got home from a nice morning at church - excellent sermon on parenting...actually it had more to do with how where we place our values will influence where our children place their values.

So it gave cause for reflection and - admittedly - for a lot of "if only" thinking.

It was also nice because a former member of our former church joined us with her young son whom I hadn't seen in a while (I had seen her but not her son) and he's thriving in an obvious atmosphere of love. His story, and that of his parents, is one of great faith and great patience in God. It was nice to be reminded of it today seeing him so happy, and so loved.

Anyway, upon arriving home following a semi-brief post-church "brunch" with our friend and her son and a 30-minute, "We just need one or two things from WalMart" stop, I found an email waiting from our old friend, Kim. She wanted to turn me on to a blog called "Letter's from Kamp Krusty" which I really enjoyed (it's a little edgy in spots be forewarned). I've added it to my Blogroll. Plus, it's always nice to get a note from Kim and see pictures of how big her kids are...her little kids...she has big kids who have their own little kids, but that's another story for another time.

Kim, Amy and I share a love of dogs, so Kim knew that picture would get my attention...heck it would get anyone's attention. That's a "whippet" by the way. Some of you older folks may remember "Ashley Whippet" the world's first really renowned "Frisbee catching" dog who mesmerized people at football games and various other events. Whippets are normally fairly small, sleek, very fast dogs. That dog in the photo has a genetic disorder that essentially makes it have double muscles.

I saw that picture and had to pass it along even though it's from an article a month or so old.

It also reminded me of the time - years ago before I began blogging - I wrote about Kim's family moving from San Antonio - at that time they were going to Oklahoma, now they're actually in Illinois or some other bizarre state that has "seasons" and weird things like that.

What was odd is that what I wrote back then was really about a little family (not any of Kim's) who had recently had a baby and discovered their little boy was born with severe muscular problems. He essentially had no muscles in his upper body. Now here's this dog with too many muscles - double the muscles it needs.

I don't know what happened to that little boy from years ago. I don't why there is a whippet running around who would prompt yet another steroid scandal were it not for the fact that he's thankfully running around in another country and not playing any professional sport (at least I'm assuming he's not).

I do know why a little boy who joined me at church today is happy and healthy...and today, quite honestly, that's all I need to know.

Thank you, Father.


The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It's our handle on what we can't see. The act of faith is what distinguished our ancestors, set them above the crowd. - Hebrews 11:1-2 (MSG)