Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Main Secret

Okay, so you've been wondering where we've been. My blogging has been sporadic at best, something else must be up.

It's time to fess up. I've been holding out on you.

This is why:




That's right, Amy and I have actually been busy as little Richard wannabes producing our own CD. For those of you in "the biz" it's an "indie" effort but we have great hopes for it.

I know you never pegged us for a rock n' roll, stick it to "the man" kind of couple and now are no doubt re-thinking your entire image of us, wondering if we have groupies, trash hotel rooms and sport tattoos.

Not to worry, that tight feeling you're experiencing in your chest is not the onset of a myocardial infarction or even a hernia. It could be heartburn, I'm not privy to your eating habits - nor do I want to be, by the way.

The feeling is the result of the fact that I'm yankin' your chain.

Not completely mind you...The Mains are indeed a band in California and they are about to release their first CD. They have one major thing going for them - I am not a member. But they have one minor problem...someone else owns the web domain TheMains.com.

That simply won't do. If they strike it rich, they'd certainly want to use the Internet as a promotional tool and they can't have the name of their band essentially "owned" in cyberspace by goodness knows who...I mean what would that look like if you went searching for information about the cutting edge rock band "The Mains" and instead found a family picture of a couple of devout Baptists and their over-achieving, non-promiscuous, drug free kids?

That's right - Rock Mama Amy and I own "TheMains.com."

Anyway to make a long story longer, one of the band members contacted me out of the blue a few weeks ago and very politely inquired if I might be willing to sell the domain. In truth we run a few email addresses through TheMains.com but have little use for it anymore. However being the greedy capitalist that I am...not to mention having married more wisdom than I deserve... I did what all men of sound thinking would do under such circumstances - I turned the entire matter over to Amy.

She began corresponding with the very polite young band member who contacted me and quickly reached a compromise: we'll keep the domain but redirect it to the band's website.

If in a couple of years, The Mains are still a band and still want the domain, we'll negotiate a new deal. In the interim they're not paying us any money - Amy drives a hard bargain - but we do have a promise that if they hit it big and gazillions of dollars fall into their laps, some of it will trickle down to us. I think we also get a copy of the CD when it comes out, which personally I find very cool. If nothing else it will have a spot next to the bottle of cheap cologne Amy got me years ago called "Main Man."





Yeah, Main Man cologne never really caught on...even amongst desperate winos. I think I may have the last surviving bottle, and I must confess it's almost full.

However I'm sure The Mains, the rock band, will fare much better. I'm convinced they're going to strike it rich. You folks in California can help their cause by going to see them perform, spreading the word, linking to their website...heck you might even buy their CD.

Believe me my only motivation is to see young talent succeed.

Of course, I think Amy really wants to justify a tattoo.