Monday, February 20, 2006

The Big House

Amy and I returned a short time ago from "The Big House." I know that sounds like the title of a 1940's era gangster movie, but it actually is a very BIG house owned communally by a big family who all work very hard and very intentionally to keep this gem of a bygone era in welcoming condition and to keep it "in the family." It is used by those who need it and most of all it is a shared place to pass along family values and God's love.

It is remarkable. The Big House was built more than 100 years ago and is filled with the type of treasures I adore...antique furniture, old books, photographs, wonderful interesting people and meaningful memories. They occupy every nook and cranny and yet there's seemingly always room for more. Over the next week or more I promise to share many many photographs and stories, but right now I'm going to share the last hour or so of my long weekend with Amy.

There is an abundance of love in The Big House and in my relationship Amy. Our visit couldn't have come at a better time to remind us of that bounty.

Oh yeah... there were also a bunch of kids with us - sort of - the church youth group. Other folks were tending to them both physically and spiritually - we literally were along for the ride - so much so that the kids almost slipped my mind. A dozen or more kids whom I barely noticed...it really is a Big House!


For Amy and I to be guests in someone else's home at this particular season of our lives was a much needed and appreciated blessing.

Anyway, I think I could go on and on, so I'll stick to my original promise to share more later...suffice it to say, The Big House has claimed a large part of our hearts...and there's still a lot of room left.