Saturday, September 24, 2005

Off The Rita Meter

I'm in a complete fog and there's no telling what that's going to result in me typing...although it's a fairly good bet it won't be confused with wisdom.

You've been warned.

I had a flashback last night when I went to pick up John' following his first high school football game in San Antonio as a band member. I thought back to all the times I drove to our kids high school (which was significantly further away from our home than the school John is attending) and waited for their band buses to arrive. John's band director told us to expect them back at 10:15....they drove up around 11:15 and then spent 30 minutes unloading and putting away uniforms.

Ah yes...the memories...

That actually wouldn't have been an issue at all - I was expecting it - but this morning I had to work...and not the usual easy Saturday morning shift thanks to Hurricane Rita. I did get to sleep in - until 4 a.m. or so. Then I spent 8 hours at a fairly frantic pace trying to keep up with a storm that was quickly outrunning its hype.

A large portion of my time was spent writing and broadcasting stories advising people who evacuated to San Antonio before Rita hit not to rush out of town trying to get back home because their hometowns weren't ready for them.

Those advisories of course worked like a charm.





Oh well, they were warned.

I also spent a significant amount of energy answering angry phone calls from people upset that some golf tournament was being pre-empted on TV by storm coverage. I probably answered 30 calls of that nature, all of them really snide people who started barking at me before I could say a word...or five words: "You've reached a radio station."

Admittedly it only took a few minutes for roughly 80 percent of the callers to click to the fact that you don't watch golf on the radio...still almost every caller hung up on me either in anger or embarrassment.

I suppose there's a lesson in here somewhere but the only one that comes to my tired out fuzzy mind at the moment is - don't disappoint golf fans....they tend to get really teed off.

Sorry, but I did warn you.