Wednesday, November 10, 2004

No Lie

I ran into one of the programming people for one of the radio stations in my building yesterday who hadn't seen me in a while. He said, "Wow, how much weight have you lost?"

I told him ..65 pounds or so. The inevitable question followed, "How'd you do it?"

To which I gave my standard answer of I ate less and exercized more. Right about then the program director for a station I work with wandered by and said, "Well if you just wanted to lie about how you lost it _______ is paying good money for endorsements spots."

I've left the name of the company out since that's not really my point. I found it fascinating, and I'm sure the P.D. was half joking when he said it, but that line, "if you're just willing to lie..." sort of stunned me.

I replied the only way I knew how..."I could use the money, but I'm not willing to lie."

He looked at me a little weird and then we parted company.

There are a lot of things I could benefit from if I was "just willing to lie." The more I thought about it the more I hoped the other guy thought about it.

It's a pretty creepy way to live and a lousy way to show leadership.