Friday, February 06, 2004

SOUP FOR ONE

He looked pitiful. A grown man holding a small tupperware container of soup. His face fallen by guilt. He arrived at our door last night apologizing. My dear friend had offered to bring us soup for the evening meal, but when he arrived he confessed he had taken the tureen from the fridge and spilled it all over his kitchen. All that was left was perhaps a portion for one.



He could have called and said, "I'm sorry...there is no soup." Instead he packed up what soup he could salvage and came to our door.

I'm grateful we have a relationship with our friend where we can admit our failings and still offer up ourselves to each other honestly.

My life has often included grand recipes. I have stirred in my ingredients of good intentions, lofty goals, and noble thoughts. Some recipes I have seasoned and allowed my mind to savor before they were fully prepared. Many times though, my best efforts proved in the end not to be my best after all.

My dreams spilled. My plans spoiled.

I go back to God with a small bowl of humility salted in failings.

He accepts me with grace...for this I am thankful.

Psalm 73:26
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever