Saturday, February 07, 2004

FROM BOTTOM TO TOP

I took a walk with my brother in law yesterday and found some truths along the way. We came across a skateboard left in the street by some neighborhood kid.

There was a momentary temptation.

An abandoned skateboard.

An empty street.

A glorious day.



My brother in law is far more athletic than I, and probably could have taken the board for a quick spin. I might have had marginal success, but the odds were certainly better of calamity in my case. We both realized though that if the imagined escapade ended badly, no matter the additional padding we carry, we probably wouldn't bounce back from our folly as quickly as in years past.

We eluded the enticement, stepped over the skateboard...kept walking.

There was some passing sadness in the realization that as we grow older - and for the record we're both still in our prime - some limitations must be recognized.

However as I enjoy this early morning time of solitude and thought, in the quiet of a sleeping house, I also realize I am sitting quite comfortably on an unbruised posterior.

There's something to be said for this wisdom thing too.

Proverbs 16:31
Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life.