Monday, October 08, 2007

Detours

At the hour I drive to work I'm used to seeing all sorts of things many drivers do not experience or at least hope they don't.

For example, I assume everyone else on the road is drunk because I've seen a bunch of drunks over the years, a couple coming at me driving the wrong way on the freeway.

I also see a lot of road construction which is done in the dark of night to minimize the impact on most drivers...the drunks and I don't count.

I mention that only because earlier this week I vowed to get back onto a "personal" road which I believe will be better for both Amy and myself in the long run. Quite honestly, so far that was easier to type than to do.

It's alright, I have become used to pushing my timetables aside when more important matters conflict with them.

The young man I mentioned in the previous post and the family now caring for him certainly qualify as a higher priority.

My not so regular "regular schedule" is already out of whack...and until we have a firm grasp on how best to shepherd our friends through this time my "idealized" schedule is going to have to be implemented incrementally it seems.

I probably should have realized there might be a few bumps in my mental route to a semblance of normalcy when I groggily drove into work on Monday and saw a flashing highway sign alerting drivers - me and the drunks - to upcoming construction.

I almost turned around to get a camera from home because I found it so funny at the time.

Now I'm thinking it was more poignant than humorous.

The sign read: "Construction ahead. Use open lane."

Like there's some other option?

I will get my routine in order soon, but right now my path is being dictated by situations over which I have little control...and callings I can not deny.

I will be patient.

I will follow the signs I see from God knowing that they will always lead to the "open lane."


As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things. - Ecclesiastes 11:5