Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Wednesday's Child

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for its living,
And a child that's born on the Sabbath day
Is blithe and bonny and good and gay.


That old poem doesn't read quite the same anymore does it?

Maybe it's just my mood.

I've been in a bit of a fog this week. It's been dreary in San Antonio. Cloudy, rainy...muddy. Amy and Shell are both wheezin' and coughin' as the allergens blow in. The State of the Union address only resulted in robbing me of my sleep and reminding me how divisive people seem these days.

In an attempt to be inclusive, tonight we're visiting a new "cell" in the church we've been attending. I'm excited by this idea of regular intimate gatherings of worship and study, and a little bit daunted...you never know what or whom to expect, but we've met the couple who runs this small group and they seem very nice and also seem to have had similar past church experiences which hopefully we won't dwell upon.

Amy and I attended a different "cell" meeting shortly after getting back from Moldova which was wonderful. However upon subsequent examination we realized it was - in part - geared toward grooming folks for church leadership, or cell leadership, positions. Believe me, that's not what we need right now. We're in a place of healing and church responsibilities are not on our "top ten" list of priorities.
Or top 20....or 80...

Get me in a seat, let me sing (or attempt to sing), challenge my heart a bit, let me pray and then get out of the way. One day I'll be ready to shoulder some of the church's burdens, but these days we need a church to shoulder us for a while.

Anyway, the folks running this other small group understand where we're coming from and "attended" our current church for six or eight months before they actually joined, so I'm not too worried we're going to feel like we're on the fast track.

I know, I'm rambling...


My mind has been on a lot of things. I did manage to arrange to buy a couple of coats for Igor and Slavic in Moldova, although the CERI coordinator was quick to point out in an email that "it's warmer in Moldova than it is in San Antonio."
I ended up arranging to simply wire funds to the CERI folks on the ground in Chisinau along with a tiny picture of the boys...there are a number of Igors and Slavics at the orphanage and I wanted to make sure the right kids got the coats, although we sent enough to buy extras I suspect.



Knowing it's warmer in Moldova than it is here has not really improved my mood.
We need some sunshine. I'm tired of cold, and rain....and mud.

You'll note a recurring theme of mud...having two little white dogs who also hate the cold and rain, but seem to be oblivious to mud, makes for a recurring pattern on our carpets too.

Then again, it could be worse. I could be a snake charmer.

Yes, that was an odd transition, you needn't read it again.




Apparently, snake charming is illegal in India, but not in neighboring Pakistan. Pakistani snake charmers however are worried that they're not making enough money so they're asking the government for help.

I really haven't researched this deeply but my understanding is they're looking for what would essentially be snake-charmer subsidies.

"My country tis of thee, sweet land of subsidy..." Sorry, I broke into song there for a sec...believe me it was worse on my end.

I applaud the snake-charmer's efforts. After watching the State of the Union Address it would seem to me that if they can convince politicians to give them money...that in itself would be proof of their abilities.

Then again, it may just be my mood.