Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Acronyms & Answers

My father, who died in 1972 when he was 49 and I 14, once told me he had a fear of heights. I replied that I too was not keen on high places but then he said, "Yes, but you fear you may fall...I fear I may jump."

It was a puzzling thing for a father to say to his kid, and I'll never know why he said it.

I mention that in part because I will turn 49 next month and I feel like I am up on a limb.

It wouldn't be wise to go into details here, but let me assure you that I mentioned my father's remark only as a metaphor for my befuddlement. I'm not about to go take a flying leap, or even climb a tree...heck with my laptop and a wireless network I rarely even climb our stairs.

For the first time in more than 20 years I'm giving serious thought to radically changing my life...and serious consideration to not making any changes at all.

The change would be quite a leap, but it ideally won't be undertaken suddenly...a lot of pieces would have to fall into place.

I guess I'm only telling you I'm in a puzzling position.


This has nothing to do with anything I've mentioned but while I'm being cryptic...are you familiar with S.P.J.S.T.?

The radio station I work for in Waco sells sponsorships to the news and sportscasts I produce for them. Each day, one of the guys in Waco emails me a list of sponsors to mention. Today, one of the sponsors read, "S.P.J.S.T."

Now, occasionally the Waco crew will abbreviate a regular sponsor's name, assuming I'll be able to determine their meaning. Usually they're right, but on some bleary-eyed mornings I've become forgetful, and I thought this morning that might be the case. I emailed back asking what S.P.J.S.T. stood for and if I had suffered a memory lapse.

The reply?

S.P.J.S.T. stands for Slovanska Podporujici Jednota Statu Texas.

It's apparently a fraternal organization that also dabbles in insurance. Central Texas has a lot of folks with Czechoslovakian roots and Slovanska Podpurujici Jednota Statu Texas translates to Slavonic Benevolent Order of the State of Texas.

I sent back an email expressing my appreciation for acronyms...

And I prayed that the other puzzles in my life would be as easy to decipher.