Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A Time Of Thanks

We're falling into the trap...rushing to get a bunch of things done before we go out of town for a day or two. It seems we always set goals that invariably result in us a: Failing b: Being irritable for the first half of our trip.

I'm on vacation and I haven't worked this hard simply trying to get basic stuff done in a long while.

So we're going to wave the white flag.

Not all the laundry will be done, our house won't be clean, my computer won't be fixed, and maybe we'll be able to rest and enjoy ourselves.

I am so thankful for many things this year that I think it's time to step back for a second and say, "Whoa!"

Let's not play the game.

We'll get out of town, when we get out of town. We don't have to pack for a month, we could get by with a toothbrush and a change of underwear considering how long we'll be gone.

It's my fault. I start making "lists" and then the items on them become GIGANTIC.

So we're stopping. I tossed a couple of pairs of jeans, underwear and a few t-shirts/sweaters/socks in a bag and I'm done.

Amy and I were rushing until rush hour trying to get her some new glasses from some "$39.95, You don't mind squinting do you?" store which made them in an hour.

She still wanted to cook a "family" dinner tonight for Shell, whose wisely declined our offer to experience our traveling mania, her beau and Cindy, our dear friend from Austin whose been staying with us this week.

However, after a stressful afternoon we've nixed that plan too, in favor of a peaceful meal where we can focus on those things that are truly important.

Pizza.

I may blog from the road, I don't know. If not, let me say Amy and I feel very blessed by the friendships we've established in the "blogosphere." We have an exciting few months ahead of us, including our semi-mad mission to Moldova.

Amy is getting stronger every day, and soon it will be two years since she spent any extended time in the hospital. Reading back through the archives, that alone is something for which I feel compelled to fall to my knees and thank God.

In fact I do...quite often.

We've had some rocky times over the past year, some seemingly lost times, and some real God time. I'm thankful for all of it.

We have grown.

Certainly there has been some pain, but pain is a necessary thing...find someone who lacks the ability to feel pain and you'll likely find someone in a constant state of fear and panic. Pain is a blessing in many ways.


So I'm thankful...for all of you who wade through my mental meanderings. For our family and friends, who understand our imperfections and with whom we can honestly journey.

I'm thankful for time.

Time to reflect. Time to pray. Time to spend on things of substance, most of which aren't "things" at all.

Amy and I have more time together than most couples and I am indeed thankful for that...I couldn't make it without her patience and persistence.

I'm thankful for the time to come as well. A future that has some grey areas, but in which I also see a shining light of possibilities...of melting horizons replaced by new horizons.

Most of all I'm thankful for a gracious and forgiving God...who redeems time and is timeless at the same time. Only God would let me get away with a sentence like that one.

God puts it all in perspective.

May God bless you and keep you in this time.

Be thankful for all you have, and know Amy and I are thankful that we have all of you.

Grace & Peace.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Michael & Amy