Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A Firm Reality

Amy was formally "ordained" as our church music minister on Sunday. It was actually a formality - she's been leading us in worship for nearly 7 years - but still an affirmation that was necessary I think. Amy, like many folks who feel a calling from God, has at times doubted if she was worthy of such a responsibility. I've found, at least in my life, God doesn't let me linger with those thoughts for long...if necessary to get my attention, God has shoved me where He's needed me and I've usually been wise enough to go where "led" even if it took me a while to catch on.

In our church, ordination is very simple...the members of our body lay hands on the person being ordained and we quietly pray, or say words of encouragement to them.
I told Amy she was a gift from God as well as a gift to God....and that I was astounded and humbled to be able to share my life with her.

Amy held it together very well...until Gordon leaned down to share his thoughts.


- Side note: Since Gordon's words were so nice, I was nice enough to crop that photo so as not to show Gordon's bald spot...and believe me that's getting harder to do -

Anyway, the process got me thinking about affirmation.

I'll admit lately I have not been getting affirmation in ways I have in the past...i.e. via my job. I've become disillusioned with some aspects of my work. This is not the end of the world...my job has changed a lot over the years...it will change again. Still, work-life is not particularly uplifting these days...and some days I leave the office simply grateful...to be leaving the office.

Yet it's funny how things work out. In these stressful days there has suddenly come a balance.

Amy and I have volunteered for a while to provide daycare for Emily. This is no great chore, in fact it's been a great joy.

Especially lately.

There's really nothing quite the same as walking into the house after a hard morning at work only to have this tiny brown-eyed charmer run up, throw her arms around my legs and say, "Mukuyl!"



I'm not sure I'd ever need any more affirmation than that.