Wednesday, June 15, 2005

A Shift In Time

I'm in a different time zone...C.D.S.T. or Central Daylight Spurs Time. In order to watch the Spurs in the NBA Finals I have to turn my somewhat sensitive body clock upside down, shake it a few times and roll it across the floor like a bowling ball hoping it wobbles along in something akin to a straight line. In other words, I'm not used to watching games that start at close to 8:30 p.m. and then having to be at work around 2 a.m..

It's resulted in me sleeping away the day, if I'm lucky, and if I'm not lucky it's resulted in me being a pseudo zombie at the office - a pseudo zombie who’s a bit cranky when the Spurs lose.

Last night, when it was evident the Spurs were going to tank I tried to go sleep, unsuccessfully. I got home from work today, fell into bed and woke up about 15 minutes ago.

In another 15 minutes or so I leave for church to break bread with friends, my community of faith. We'll say a short prayer, share a simple meal, probably even talk about the Spurs and then go our different ways...holding onto those moments.

My sense of time is topsy turvy and even though the Spurs lost last night...those moments and that small meal will right me.

Community expands beyond time...oftentimes.